Sunday, January 4, 2009

#1: The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It – Michael E. Gerber

So I had high hopes for this book, having heard SOOO much about it in business circles, and to get us off to a good start for 2009. But I have to say, I wasn't that impressed... Gerber's basic concepts around the entrepreneur, manager and technician and establishing a turnkey business make sense, and it seems to set out a fairly clear structure for following the model he proposes, but I didn't like the case study he used – I found it a bit confusing and cringe-worthy. Anyway, as most business books are not known for their literary merit, I guess the true measure of whether it has been worthwhile will come down to whether the model actually works for us – and that will require some work over the next few weeks (and quite a lot of it, by the look of it).
Fortunately I've got a few works of fiction on the go at the moment too so it's not all dry and dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment