Sunday, April 26, 2009

So many books, so little time...

I read a particularly funny column in the Sunday Life magazine last week, about 'The rise of the dummy mummies', written by Rachel Cooke. She basically asked why it was necessary for new mothers to become "boring, selfish and smug", and how it impacts on non-mothers like herself.
She said when people ask her why she doesn't want to have children, she usually says, "I'm worried I won't have enough time to read". Good point.
This was then followed by an existential crisis while I was at the library, about having to make good book choices – after all, just how many books will I be able to read in my lifetime? Does that mean I need to guard against duds, even if I manage to keep up a rate of 40+ books a year? And what if, for a period while meeting the needs of hopefully forthcoming children, this falls to just 20 a year, or even 10? Am I going to miss out on some really good books?
While the beauty of libraries for me is the abundance of choice and the absence of penalty for making the wrong choice (no money invested, no compulsion to finish it, just take it back), this dilemma has thrown a whole new light on things. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment